cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor (was RE: Migrating TreeProcessor to Fortress)
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:15:34 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> 3/ View inheritance
> Views are nothing more than virtual serializers, with the main
> difference that their hint is defined at runtime by the "cocoon-view"
> parameter. And since these are components, lookup goes up to the parent
> sitemap if a view is not declared in a given sitemap, thus providing
> inheritance.

Is this really needed, or desirable?  Views are not currently inherited,
and making them inherited may break something that people already have
setup.  Were views made uninheritable on purpose?

Consider an environment where you have subsitemaps delegated out for
separate departments or people to use.  If you have some views in the
main sitemap, I wouldn't neccesarily want them propagating down to
subsitemaps.

Would an empty <map:views/> tag would override any views in a sitemap?

But maybe this isn't really a problem, if you have everything in a
subsitemap, even your "main" one, then you wouldn't have to worry.
Likewise, just declare no components in the supersitemap and you're good
to go.

Thoughts?

Tony