cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [vote] forbidding flowscripts with no sendpage redirects (was Re:Saving pipeline output to a temp file...)
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:48:35 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> On 11 Nov 2003, at 05:47, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>
>>> Sylvain Wallez dijo:

>>>   [X] yes, enforce it in 2.1.3

>>> Earlier means less pain in the future.
>>
>> Agreed, +1
>
> I'm -0 on "yes, enforce". Not sure why it should be disabled.

I'm the same.  In fact, I think that flow in some cases needlessly
complicates the composition of a pipeline.  Now I have to have two
pipelines where I used to need one.  I have to have one that matches the
external request and calls the flow function, and another one for the
default result of that pipeline.  So far this has felt like needless
additional complexity to me (and I think will to others).

To try to make this point a little clearer:
Part of the beauty of the sitemap prior to flow was that you could at a
glance see what each request url was triggering.  Now, I look at the
sitemap, have to locate the flowscript, parse through it for the various
sendPage etc. and then back to the sitemap to find where the action
really happens.  This could perhaps be handled with some best practice
naming conventions.  Perhaps a practice of passing in the various
possible view uris to the flowscript should be considered.  I don't know.

I'm not negative on flow, and not positive on actions - just pointing
out a loss of readability of the sitemap that has resulted from our move
forward.

So actually, I'll say I'm -.5 on the need to enforce this at all.

Geoff