cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: auto generation of blocks.properties
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:22:09 GMT
On 11.11.2003 08:29, Upayavira wrote:

>> The solution is to have one file and to generate the other
>> one. I wrote a stylesheet doing this from gump.xml, find it attached
>> (after problems with Xalan).
>>
>> The question is how to integrate it exactly into the build. Only as a
>> helper target? Only for developers before committing gump.xml? As one
>> of the first steps in the build, i.e. blocks.properties is removed
>> from the CVS and it's only generated dynamically?
>>
>> Furthermore the gump.xml project/@status must be completed
>> (status="stable" and stable="deprecated").
>>
>> I hope you will find it useful. Any comments?
>

> I'd say in two ways:
> (1) as a task anyone can run at their leasure: build blocks-properties
> and
> (2) as a part of the release process - so that releases always have a
> correct blocks-properties.
>
> That way, developers have the responsibility to create a
> blocks-properites file for themselves, but users get one ready made. If
> someone starts using CVS, they need to look out for this.
>
> Does your blocks.properties include dependency info and descriptions of
> the blocks themselves?

Of course dependency info, that was the reason for doing it - and we
have a lot of dependencies of you look at the result, much more than
there were mentioned in the blocks.properties until now.

I don't like the idea of having block descriptions also in the
blocks.properties. This makes the file unreadable. With the dependencies
it's already "full".

> Otherwise, I think this is great, and much needed (and will no our
> users, and gump, no harm at all!)

Ok, I will commit it soon as helper target.

Joerg