cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: auto generation of blocks.properties
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:29:46 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> last week there was again a thread about binary dists or at least
> about simplifying the build on the users list:

> The original reason were Alexander's problems with the CLI: it is/was
> not usable with the authentication-fw block. Further dependencies were
> not in the blocks.properties and so he became frustrated.
>
> One solution for him where different blocks.properties for different
> use cases. Another solution IMO are the complete dependencies in our
> blocks.properties. But maintaining both gump.xml and blocks.properties
> is a pain. The solution is to have one file and to generate the other
> one. I wrote a stylesheet doing this from gump.xml, find it attached
> (after problems with Xalan).
>
> The question is how to integrate it exactly into the build. Only as a
> helper target? Only for developers before committing gump.xml? As one
> of the first steps in the build, i.e. blocks.properties is removed
> from the CVS and it's only generated dynamically?
>
> Furthermore the gump.xml project/@status must be completed
> (status="stable" and stable="deprecated").
>
> I hope you will find it useful. Any comments?

I'd say in two ways:
(1) as a task anyone can run at their leasure: build blocks-properties
and
(2) as a part of the release process - so that releases always have a
correct blocks-properties.

That way, developers have the responsibility to create a
blocks-properites file for themselves, but users get one ready made. If
someone starts using CVS, they need to look out for this.

Does your blocks.properties include dependency info and descriptions of
the blocks themselves?

Otherwise, I think this is great, and much needed (and will no our
users, and gump, no harm at all!)

Regards, Upayavira