cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Saving pipeline output to a temp file...everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask!
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:49:15 GMT
Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:

>>What do you think of the CopySourceAction I've added (see [1])? Doing the equivalent
of your saveToFile.flow should be pretty trivial, no?

>It's not a bad idea, except that I still will need to use flowscript to fire off a .vbs
script that prints the document....or need to write a custom action to do that, which I would
rather not do at the moment, deadlines looming and all that.

Why do you need flowscript to fire a vb script? It should be possible to
do it in Java, and the action code should not be far from a cut'n paste
of the flowscript code.

>>Congrats for your project. But I really think this unspecified behaviour you're using
is not the good way to go. So let's keep it as is in the upcoming 2.1.3 and forbid it in 2.1.4.

>Why forbid it?  I see no reason to elminate such a useful feature, unspecified or otherwise.

There's been a discussion about this, and we agreed on the fact that he
semantics of <map:call function> and <map:call> continuation implied
that it _must_ redirect somewhere using sendPage, sendPageAndWait or
redirectTo.

The semantics you would like is the one of an action. I proposed to add
a "flowscript action" that would share function and global variable
scopes with the flowscript but have the appropriate contract of
returning a Map of values to the sitemap.

So the flowscript call semantics will be strengthened in the 2.1.4 to
avoid abuses of this unspecified behaviour. And the fact that you
already rely on this behaviour shows that we must correct things quickly.

If it was only me, we would forbid it ASAP for the 2.1.3 release. What
do others think?

Sylvain