cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:30:52 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:

>>> I skimmed it too, but it didn't seem to fit.
>>

>> Have you guys also looked at Anteater http://aft.sf.net?
>>
>> My personal experience with HTTPUnit is that is somehow inflexible
>> and way too programmatic, not very declarative as Anteater is.
>

> I've looked into Anteater now, and I'm starting to see how I could
> make a Cocoon unit test tool with it.

I copied this email to Jeff Turner (who is part responsible for
Anteater). He said that it was, in his opinion, pretty much dead, as it
did what it set out to do, but needed more higher level functionality.
He now uses jWebUnit, which extends HttpUnit.

So, how does this proposal read:

CocoonUnit extention to HttpUnit and jWebUnit
My original proposal was to use the CocoonBean to access Cocoon.
However, hacking HttpUnit and then jWebUnit to use the new access method
would be a real pain. So....

A new CocoonUnit class can be used alongside HttpUnit or jWebUnit.
HttpUnit or jWebUnit continue to make their tests using HTTP to a
servlet container.

CocoonUnit
------------
public class MyXMLTestCase extends XMLTestCase {
   public MyXMLTestCase(String name) {
       super(name);
   }
   public void testForEquality() throws Exception {
      CocoonUnit cocoon = new
CocoonUnit("http://localhost:8080/unit-manager");

      WebConversation webConversation =  new WebConversation();
      WebRequest request = new
GetMethodWebRequest("/samples/hello-world/hello.html");

      cocoon.setCollectStageXML(1);
      cocoon.setCollectStageXML(2);
      cocoon.informServer();
      WebResponse response = webConversation.getResponse(request);

      String generatorXML = cocoon.getPipelineXML(1);
      String transformedXML = cocoon.getPipelineXML(2);

      assertXpathExists("//para[contains(.,'Cocoon')]", generatorXML);
      assertXpathNotExists("//para[contains(.,'Active Server Pages')]",
generatorXML);

      // further tests on the transformedXML
   }
}

In this way, HttpUnit requires no changes - all instructions to the
server are made through this CocoonUnit object.

Cocoon Servlet Changes
---------------------
The cocoon servlet is extended with a single extra init parameter "test"
which is set to either 'on' or 'off'. (This could equally be in
cocoon.xconf).

When the cocoon.informServer() method is called, an HTTP post is sent to
the server, encapsulating details of the stages for which XML must be
gathered. A couple of extra matchers placed in a pipeline will use an
extension of the StreamGenerator to write the contents of this XML into
an object in the transient store.

When the webConversation.getResponse() is called, the server, if the
test input parameter is set to on, looks to see if this object is
present in the persistent store. If it is, it inserts transformers into
the pipeline as required to gather XML. This XML is then stored in the
transient store, and the normal response is sent back to the user.

When the cocoon.getPipelineXML(1) method is called, an HTTP request is
sent to the server, and the server returns the relevant XML out of the
transient store.

The only downside of this as I currently see it is that only one person
must be testing a site at any one time, as they cannot share their
transient store objects.

This is by far the easiest solution to implement that I've come up with
so far. It is not the most elegant internally, but from the user's point
of view should be relatively easy to understand.

What do you think?

Regards,. Upayavira