cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] empty HTTP responses [was Re: Cannot easily set http status]
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:01:49 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>> setStatus' friends the sendError brothers are also be eligible for FOM
>> membership. But this change has a dependency on the discussion about
>> bodyless responses since if you'd do a sendError from a flow script and
>> then send a page afterwards this would result in errors.
>

> I dislikde "sendError" because, in fact, HTTP does not have the concept
> of errors, but only status codes and empty-payload responses.
>
> In the future, it's entirely possible to have a 309 or equivalent that
> is not an error, but has a empty-payload response. I would dislike to
> call "sendError()" to send something that is not an error, feels hacky.
>
> I think the optimal solution is:
>
>  1) add response.setStatus() in FOM
>  2) allow the flowscript to terminate without calling sendPage* [thus
> resulting in an empty payload]

Sorry to jump in late, I'm probably lagging behind a few posts, but was
the possibility of having *pipelines* send empty payload considered
instead? This way flow will always have to sendPage(), but the result
would be empty content anyway. With the added bonus of having the
pipeline flexibility to, say, set headers.

WDYT?

--
Gianugo Rabellino