cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] rollback Cocoon 2.2 and do Fortress merge later (was Re: Fortress Conversion Stalled)
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:23:12 GMT

Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 03.11.2003 17:18, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> It only makes sense to roll back and start concentrating on Cocoon
>> Blocks
>> at this time.
>>
>> I do highly recommend refactoring Cocoon bit by bit to remove ECM
>> assumptions
>> wherever they exist so that the actual upgrade to Fortress or Merlin
>> will be
>> much simpler.
>>
>> +1 from me.
>

> -1
>
> I would like to see first the refactoring and the move to Fortress and
> afterwards the blocks even if I can not help much more than
> "Composable => Serviceable" (which is maybe not even needed for the
> move).

Migration from Composable --> Servicable is not mandatory but is *very*
highly recommended.  The Composiable contract creates an artifical lock
that forces any service to use the Component interface. While this can
be deal with using proxies and the like - its just plain bad.
Serviceable and ServiceManager eliminate this issue completely.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org