cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] rollback Cocoon 2.2 and do Fortress merge later (was Re: Fortress Conversion Stalled)
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:13:56 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>>Berin, is it more the lack of time or more the tight coupling with
>>>ECM?
>>>
>>>I was so glad to see this effort and I am wondering ...how
>>
>>much ...and
>>
>>>what is left to do? Maybe you could give a summary of what you came
>>>across?
>>>
>>>Maybe you just need some more helping hands?
>>

> Me too, let's not give up just yet. I have a feeling that if we let this
> opertunity slip we will never be able to upgrade to a newer container
> and we will really be stuck on ECM. Come on let's do this.
>

>>Here is what is left to do:
>>
>>* Make the TreeBuilder system work with Fortress instead of ECM.
>

> Can you break this down? As far as I have followed the discussion there
> was:
>
> - ParentAware interface: no problem with Fortress there, we can loose
> it.

Ok.  No sweat

> - Recomposable / Reconfigurable interfaces: no solution yet, needs
> refactoring.

We need to make these unneeded.

> - Support for current sitemap syntax instead of Fortress shorthand
> syntax (?)

Easy enough to do.  All you need to do is override the configure()
method and create addComponent() calls with the appropriate meta-info.

> - SourceResolver: several options on the table.
> - ... ?

The biggest thing is the TreeBuilder--I can't tell you everything that
would need to change, but the more hands in that thing, the better for
Cocoon in general.  Before it "just worked" so there was no reason to
get involved.  However, now there are some things that need to change,
so maybe we could see some improvements to its design, I dunno.

>>* Make the Main class work with the new bean.
>>* Get rid of the old bean.
>

> This should be straightforward?

Should be.

>>I have no more time, and the TreeBuilder is very tightly integrated.
>>
>>I think I have done the hard stuff OK (the support for
>>Request Lifestyle and company).
>>

> Then it would be even more of a let down if we let this go.

I will lend any guidance I can and answer any questions you have.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin