cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Groovy language for XSP [Fwd: [xml-dev] The Free World vs Microsoft Inc: A Closer Look At Groovy]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:30:21 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> Pretty cool stuff. If they add continuations, I'm all for throwin
>> rhino down the drain.
>>
>> [at least, from a community perspective, we wouldn't be basing our
>> entire architecture on branched code of a almost-dead community
>> hosted in a location that doesn't care about java]
>

> Scary statement, but unfortunately so true...

I don't think that statement is true, rather I'd say it's simply FUD.
The architecture of Cocoon is not based on Rhino. I think it has been
shown that any language that supports continuations can quite easily be
plugged into Cocoon. The problem is that it's hard to find such
languages (and currently Groovy is not currently one of them). Instead
of denigrating Rhino, why not show some appreciation for the fact that
it does actually work. If you look at the list archives you'll see many
postings about languages that various people feel would be better than
Rhino (Python, Java, etc), but currently none of them actually work in
Cocoon. If you're concerned about community support why not add the
Rhino-with-continuations source to the Cocoon cvs. The Cocoon community
is more than capable of maintaining it, IMO.

My $0.02,

Chris.