cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Fortress Conversion Stalled
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:57:32 GMT
I'll be honest with you, I remembered the last time I got involved in the COcoon
internals, and based on the state of the project at that time, I could easily
upgrade to Fortress.  However things are much different now, and there are a
number of places that Cocoon is deeply wed to ECM.

I no longer have the time to really devote to it, and I don't want to hold up
development on Cocoon Blocks.  I'm sure that it is just as frustrating to you as
it is to me that I was more confident than I should have been.  At this time
though, we can rollback any changes that I have made, and you have only lost
a couple of weeks.

As Cocoon 2.2 development moves forward, I highly recommend that you more firmly
separate the concepts of container and component so that an upgrade would be
much easier.

There are a number of weaknesses in the ECM system that are addressed in
Fortress, with the net result of better scalability and performance.  The
problem is that the way Cocoon is structured is truly dependent on the thinking
that went into ECM.  It will take time to properly separate things, and such
changes are best done in small increments instead of forced changes.  Cocoon
has some work to do before migration to Fortress or Merlin is only a matter
of a small increment.

I will be more than happy to help guide the smaller refactorings that would be
necessary, but I cannot commit to doing the job at this time.  I am swamped with
work at work, and I am swamped with home improvements at home.  I have no spare
time.  Now if anyone wants to hire me so that I can work on it full time, then
there will be no excuse ;P

For the moment though, I can't really make the conversion yet.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin