cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:58:04 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Steve K wrote:
>>
>>> Upayavira --
>>> - Jakarta Cactus (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/) -- This takes a
>>> similar approach by setting up a mock servlet environment to test
>>> your servlets in.  However, it seemed way to big and complicated to
>>> do what I thought would be very simple.  Also, I think there is a
>>> lot to be gained by unit testing at the pipeline level as you
>>> suggest, rather than treating Cocoon like just another servlet.
>>

>> I skimmed it too, but it didn't seem to fit.
>

> Have you guys also looked at Anteater http://aft.sf.net?
>
> My personal experience with HTTPUnit is that is somehow inflexible and
> way too programmatic, not very declarative as Anteater is.

Interesting.

I had thought about a more declarative approach, and there are already
some Anteater tests in the Cocoon codebase.

Looking at it, I suspect we could get away with extending/modifying the
HTTPRequest and replacing the HTTPClient with a CocoonClient. I can see
how it could be done. Worst case, I would just replace HTTPRequest with
CocoonRequest and HTTPClient with CocoonClient.

I haven't yet worked out how to allow xpaths on intermediate pipeline
XMLs - I haven't found the docs on Anteater that easy to understand. The
best thing I found were the anteater tests within Cocoon
(src/test/anteater).

So it is certainly possible, and I'll look into it more.

Regards, Upayavira