cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Profiling Pipeline [was Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit]
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:57:13 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>On Saturday, Nov 1, 2003, at 23:29 Europe/Rome, Steve K wrote:
>>

>>>And finally, on a somewhat unrelated subject, one thing that I've
>>>always wanted Cocoon to do may be possible if support for collecting
>>>the XML at each pipeline step is added.  To aid in debugging, I think
>>>it would be very helpful to switch on some kind of debug mode, that
>>>would cause a trace of what pipeline steps where executed and the
>>>state of the XML at each step to be printed out at the bottom of each
>>>page you output to the browser.  This way it is easy for a developer
>>>to see the path though the pipelines the request took, as well as a
>>>snapshot of the XML each step of the way.
>>>

>>This is already there, althought somewhat hidden, check into the
>>"profiler" block.
>>
>>BTW, there is something that always bugged me about the profiler: the
>>time that gives you is almost totally useless,

(IIRC) Stephan did a lot of work on how profiler counts time, and now
it's not useless at all. For example, I recently used profiler with
different XSLT engines and found out that XSLTC finally became a tad
faster than Saxon. Also, I found couple of stylesheets which were
rewritten as transformers to gain some speed improvements.

>>while the exposed view
>>of the pipeline internals is a *great* debugging tool

Never tried it (yet)! :)

>>(some people do
>>it with views, but sometimes you don't know where the problem is so you
>>might want to see it all).
>>
>>I propose two changes here:
>>
>>1) rename the "profiling" pipeline into "debug"
>>

>+1

-0. Current name suits me well.

>>2) remove the timings (they don't make any sense)
>>

>-1, why do you think the timings are useless?! I done a lot of profiling
>with it in the past, and found for example the problem with the use-store
>paramter of the TaxTransformer.

-1, it's useful to me.

>>3) move the whole thing into core
>>

>-1, the core should only contain necessary components.

+1, I wouldn't mind seeing it in core. It's like instrumentation manager
which is also in core.

Vadim