cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fooling around with cocoon davmap
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 00:26:11 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
>>> Should we strive for strict compatibility in the short term?
>>

>> IMO, yes. We are now building a foundation for Cocoon to be a viable
>> DAV server, and this should include finding all the possible
>> shortcomings and solve them now instead than later, when we will start
>> polishing things up. There's always room for hacks, but I'd rather
>> leave them to a later point: now we're more in a proof of concept
>> phase, after which I expect some serious design to happen, possibly
>> even on Cocoon core.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> I think that if I keep hitting rubber walls on merlino build all sorts
> of webdav servers and clients, I will end up implementing DeltaV
> directly into davmap instead of crying down in tears!!! grrr

Welcome to the interoperability nightmare. :-) Actually, I think that
the DeltaV stuff is not that important as of now: since there are no
DeltaV-aware clients apart from cadaver, I wouldn't worry too much: what
we need is transparent versioning, that would be more than enough.

> don't you hate with you think you have all pieces of the puzzle finally
> on the table, but then you figure one that you miss one more... and then
> one more... and so on... it's driving me nuts.

Why so? The most important missing piece actually is a client for
infrastructure to restore sites from previous versions: this shouldn't
be too hard to do after all. Keep in mind that, even with DeltaV, you
wouldn't have been that much closer: as of today, there are just no
clients available, so we'll need to build our own anyways. Unless (wild
thought) we manage to have davmap working on arbitrary sources: if so,
we could use the CVSSource as the "filesystem" backend, giving us
transparent versioning for free. We're not that far away, actually...

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino