cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: [RT] Direct Form-&gt;SQL mapping through OJB and DynaBeans
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 09:04:17 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hunsberger, Peter dijo:
>>For us, last update wins, we're not update intensive, but I'm waiting
>>for the day when someone forces us to wade through the audit log to
>>determine why there update didn't take.
> The "last update wins" is the most used approaching in this cases. You can
> implement this using JDO.

Is it really? Makes me shudder. If your concurrency level is so low that
the possibility of lost updates is very small, you'd better implement a
pessimistic locking strategy: first person to read the record locks it
until she commits her changes. Others will just have to wait, but since
this seldom occurs, it is not a problem. Trashing others' updates is
never an acceptable strategy, IMHO. You're going to either lose data or
mess up your referential integrity, or both.

Think what would happen if you used this strategy with CVS.

	Ugo