cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: XSP "official" position
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:01:57 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino dijo:
> Interesting comments here at ApacheCon. Some users are still convinced
> that we're pushing XSP as the prominent way to build interactive stuff
> and web applications.

Incredible enough! 8-0
BTW, tell then they are totally outdated. :-D

> Actually on the site there is no particular
> endorsement of XSP, but there not either a word of warning about this
> approach being "deprecated" in favor of the flow idea.

Here I will and transformers too.

> I do think that
> it would be nice to put some carefully thought out phrasing on the main
> XSP page stating that, while still supported, we do think that there are
> now better alternatives for dynamic websites/applications.

Yep. +1

> WDYT?

I had concerns and tought about this for long time:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103543889904222&w=2

As an "old" XSP user I think XSP is good for some rapid prototyping and
for some small sites (Matthew and Carten book stated about it clearly).
The problems using XSP in webapp I painfull learned while working with it.
:-(

I think we will continue supporting XSP because Cocoon can be used as Web
publishing framework or a Webapp framework. Also XSP is a good entry point
for many people from the ASP, PHP world. They feels like fish in the water
with XSP. :-D

I really no wonder why peope still think XSP is the great Gig in the
Cocoon town, because if you google around you will feel this is the way
Cocoon goes. To be honest I don't google about this for a long time but
still early this year this was the tendency.

OK. I google again :-D here the results:

Search for: "Apache Cocoon" results: 447,000 (we are slowing growing!)
Search for: "Cocoon XSP" results: 61,700
Search for: "Cocoon XSLT" results: 48,300
Search for: "Cocoon Flow" results: 42,100
Search for: "Cocoon Transformer" results: 15,800

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo