cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Woody] wd:help
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:31:40 GMT

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 02:44 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
>> tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the
>> 'woody-field-styling.xsl', except for when it is used inside a
>> <wd:group/>.
>>
>> Would anyone object to me adding this?
>

> Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)

He He!

>> I was thinking of adding handling for this to the
>> 'woody-field-common' template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a
>> javascript alert containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits
>> just after the field, like the required '*".
>>
>> Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>

> I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help

Markup would be good

> , and the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for
> this to build the popups [2].

OK

> Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
> placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to
> the one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
> change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
> any) associated to clicked elements.

Nice idea .... not sure about being inspired by Windows GUI design
though :)

Would they best popup (in help-mode) when clicked, or rolled-over?

> How hard would this be to do?

Not sure ..... but it could be beyond my current DHTML knowledge, do
you know of any sites that do this?  ;)

It is something I'd like to have a go at ..... this weekend however I
will be tied up, upgrading my Macs to Panther :)

There is a CSS2 directive for changing the cursor, but have no idea how
well implemented it is across browsers.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ui.html#cursor-props>, there is a 'help'
cursor.

I'll checkout your references to the popup stuff ....

regards Jeremy