cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:11:44 GMT

On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:50, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
> threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
> concerning the establishment of a component repository
> project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
> subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
> the Avalon crew are currently debating.

a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured data,
you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to scale
O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much) and
allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to the very
DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking, transactionality,
obvservability.

a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.

Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
course.

Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
would even be silly to try to do so.

--
Stefano