cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: XSP "official" position
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:14:38 GMT
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:01:57PM -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> I really no wonder why peope still think XSP is the great Gig in the
> Cocoon town, because if you google around you will feel this is the way
> Cocoon goes. To be honest I don't google about this for a long time but
> still early this year this was the tendency.
xsp is very powerful if you use it with esql.

- very fast custom database action creation (xsp actions)
- nice syntax, no need for enormous amount of JDBC code needed, no need to
  handle exceptions
- esql is customized transparently for several databases ( i.e.  max-rows,
  skip-rows) - very useful for me because I connect cocoon to existing
  database installations so I do not have the comfort to choose one that fits
  the best.

while the flow:
- has some database support but is really poor
- you have to catch exceptions yourself
- no database customizations
- O/R support is still pre-alpha and even if it was already mature
  - the overhead is much too big comparing to pure JDBC for projects
    not-enterprise size
  - you cannot use it for web applications that use already ready database
    schema - try to add some functionality to big accounting system - you
    would have to map almost whole existing db even if you need access to 3-4
    tables
  - sometimes the db schema makes it impossible to use O/R tools
  - in 2 years I haven't found a single project that does not fall under one
    of above conditions

I would really like to contribute to some flow-db block that does not involve
O/R mapping but do not know where to start from.

Jakarta commons has something called DBUtils
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbutils/index.html) - I do not know the
functionality but I suppose if this was wrapped with Scriptable I think it
would be very useful.

	ouzo
--
            __