cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:31:17 GMT
I cannot agree more with Stefano's comment regarding the big-O order of search and access opertions.
 We need constant time lookup and queries of information regarding the artifacts (the meta
data) as well as constant time access to an artifact's content stream regardless of how many
artifacts are contained in the repository.  This requires a heirarchy aware database.

WRT Steve's comment I agree as well, the content repository allows access to the artifact
whereas the component repository (I prefer meta data aware repo) allows access to the meta
data.

I clearly see two domains for repository data: the relational domain and the content domain.
 Relational domain of data is separated out and modeled as queriable attributes or properties
as in directories or webdav.  The content deals with blobs of information that has some mime
type assocaited with it.  These two domains are very complimentary.

Directories and Webdav are excellent candidates for implementing fast meta data aware repositories:
because application level attributes and properties can be attached to the artifacts in directories
and webdav respectively.  Indexing of these attributes and properties leads to a fast and
efficient discovery mechanism.  Further more complex questions can be answered by the repostory
for the client if the search engine provides enough expressivity.

My $0.02,
Alex