cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [Vote] empty HTTP responses [was Re: Cannot easily set http status]
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:06:31 GMT

On 7 Nov 2003, at 17:22, Guido Casper wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Your -1 means: "replace later with never", right? Just to remove any
>>> possible point of confusion :)
>> yes. I am against the silly
>>   <xxx>
>>    ... do something if true
>>   </xx>
>>   .. do something if false
>> syntax. doesn't matter what the logic that drives the "xxx" tag is or
>> what "xxx" is remapped to.
> Wow, that would rule out matchers as well.
> But it might make some sense since matchers are not all that different
> actions ;-)

Careful. I'm against the use of

  <match src="something">

as well. The proper way should be

  <match src="something">

  <match src="**">

having the logic processing not following the element nesting, is, IMO,
very confusing and very bad practice.

In the original sitemap design, it was *NOT* possible to have pipeline
components inside <pipeline>, only matchers. This is something that was
introduced while I wasn't watching, just like actions.

Yes, actions are not the only the only things I dislike about the
sitemap: the tree processor introduced new ways of dealing with things
(like having resources without generators or serializers, or pipeline
components in pipelines without matchers)... but all these things ended
up being more harm than good from a usage perspective.

So, what's the point of introducing something and then come out with
"best practices" that prevent you from using them?

View raw message