cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] empty HTTP responses [was Re: Cannot easily set http status]
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:09:32 GMT

On Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003, at 13:41 Europe/Rome, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003, at 12:19 Europe/Rome, Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
>>> setStatus' friends the sendError brothers are also be eligible for
>>> FOM
>>> membership. But this change has a dependency on the discussion about
>>> bodyless responses since if you'd do a sendError from a flow script
>>> and
>>> then send a page afterwards this would result in errors.
>>

>> I dislikde "sendError" because, in fact, HTTP does not have the
>> concept of errors, but only status codes and empty-payload responses.
>>
>> In the future, it's entirely possible to have a 309 or equivalent
>> that is not an error, but has a empty-payload response. I would
>> dislike to call "sendError()" to send something that is not an error,
>> feels hacky.
>>
>> I think the optimal solution is:
>>
>>  1) add response.setStatus() in FOM
>>  2) allow the flowscript to terminate without calling sendPage* [thus
>> resulting in an empty payload]
>>
>> Vote?
>

> Before we vote: how to resolve "flow actions" issue then? There should
> be migration path for users who already have wrote an actions wtih
> flow.
>
> (remember? you've said that actions should be replaced with flowscript
> ;-)

You teaser ;-)

IMVHO, an action is an overlap of three concerns:

  1) processing logic external to the sitemap used to drive its flow
  2) processing logic external to the pipelines used to drive its
creation
  3) processing logic used to update the external environment

A potential migration strategy is:

  1) should be done in the flow, either rewriting in javascript or
refactoring the logic, moving it into an isolated component (either
avalon or simple java class to instantiate from the flow)

  3) this should be refactored into a class or component

which leaves us with 2).

I've seen far too many actions that set parameters that are later used
by selectors. This is WRONG!!! You should be writing a selector!!!

But at the very end, I think the issues at stake are orthogonal: Unico
and I want a simple way to generate reponses with empty-payloads
because this is going to be common for more complex uses of HTTP.

You propose to clone the ugly action-like sitemap semantics with
flowscript logic.

The votes can happen independently.

> ]--
Stefano.