cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Doco needs landing
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:27:32 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > Mmmm, i am not sure that i like this approach. "Doco" sounds
> > to me like one of the reasons that "Forrest" was started.
>
> that's right, but forrest took a different path and now focuses
> on static generation of web sites, full blown content management
> is not at reach there anymore.

That is a rash statement from afar.

Forrest was started by some visionaries with grand plans.
After a very short while, most of those people disappeared
and only a few committers remained to assist the fledgling.

Forrest documentation still talked about the grander plans.
Brilliant though it is, Forrest had to pull its horns in,
as it was not yet delivering on that vision.

So certain dreams had to be "shelved". Not abandoned, just put on
hold until there were participants, and real use cases to meet.

There were also recent cases where some new committers started to
set up some default facilities which assumed a servlet environment
and thereby broke the static docs build. We decided that the
primary focus be static, yet enable project-specific dynamic.

--David