cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: CocoonForms compared with JSF
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:04:57 GMT
On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 17:47, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2003, at 14:48, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> > Le Samedi, 22 nov 2003, à 13:42 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
> >

> >> Over the last days I had an offlist discussion with Sylvain and I
> >> don't
> >> want to keep back a very nice summary of Sylvain comparing CocoonForms
> >> with JSF. I set up a Wiki page:
> >> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonFormsJSF
> >
> > Thanks for this!
> >
> > Well, thanks and no thanks because
> >
> > > renderkits must be defined in Java and produce HTML using...
> > println()!!
> >
> > almost made me puke ;-)
>
> I just laughed. It will be a very hard job for any JSF proponent to
> convince multi-channel-intensive users to follow that renderkits road.
> I don't envy them at all ;-)

They'll probably defend by saying you can write a renderkit that
produces XML and put an XSL behind that. They won't mention the
re-parsing needed in between though. Or the fact that you'll have to do
it all yourself.

OTOH, renderkits not only abstract the rendering but also the decoding
of request parameters, so that's a point where they are more flexibile
then Woody, where it is all hardcoded in the widgets (and assumes
HTML-like behaviour).