cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [woody] validation error messages
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:15:00 GMT
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 12:47, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I noticed that when you use something like :
>
> 	form.getWidget ("email").setValidationError (
> 		new ValidationError ("validation.email.inuse")
> 	);
>
> then the i18n tag output by setValidationError() looks like this:
>
> 	<i18n:text catalogue="woody">validation.email.inuse</i18n:text>
>
> which means that any custom validation errors pretty much have to be
> kept in WoodyMessages which could well be inconvenient ....
>
> Is it really necessary for Woody to set the catalogue attribute in this
> situation?

Yes and no. The reason is historical: ValidationErrors were only created
by Woody classes themselves, so all their messages would come from the
woody catalogue.

Now that setValidationError is a public method, it is indeed necessary
to add some more flexibility to the ValidationError class.

> BTW. Is there a plan to add a generic form validation message tag to
> woody?
> ie. not tied to a particular field widget.

As Sylvain also replied, this has been brought up already, even as
recently as a couple of days ago on the user mailing list:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=106821138010096&w=2

I suppose you should know since you even replied to it ;-)

I've actually implemented it already but I want to clean up some other
things first before committing it.