cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [heads up] cocoon's defaults form-encoding and seerialize-encoding are inconsistent.
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:36:09 GMT
On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 12:24, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 01.11.2003 12:08, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
> >>personally I think this patch should come together with a
> >>change to our
> >>web.xml so we rather change the default form-encoding to be
> >>also "utf-8"
> >

> > sorry, I don't understand this. Does this mean the general encoding is
> > iso-8859-1 and the form encoding is UTF-8? If yes, why two different
> > encodings?
>
> These are two different things.
>
> On the one hand there is the container encoding. It defines with which
> encoding textfiles are read, e.g. properties files. It's about servlet
> container <=> file system.

The "container encoding" mentioned here is the encoding with which the
servlet container decoded request parameters. The servlet spec says that
this should always be ISO-8859-1 (unless the client specified another
encoding or, from 2.3, request.setCharacterEncoding is used). This
parameter has nothing to do with the encoding used to decode e.g. text
files, and should normally always be left to ISO-8859-1.

Some more info about all this can be found on this wiki page:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=RequestParameterEncoding