cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuations and the web
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:43:02 GMT

On 24 Nov 2003, at 18:08, Marc Portier wrote:

>> The only way to make this *really* REST-y is to pass the continuation
>> (not the ID, the *ENTIRE* continuation) along with the response. This
>> would allow complete replicability of the continuation.
>
> at the limit this of course could mean that one needs to serialize
> over the state of the complete back-end database consulted from that
> continuation :-)

very very very true. Keep in mind that REST is just a research paper,
there is no evidence that pure REST can work in the real world as REST
tends to ignore bandwidth usage and security.

> again, I don't really see how practical distributed computing could be
> arranged without any form of server side state... (which based on the
> loose coupling will require some kind of lease and invalidate
> mechanism)

"practical" is the key word here, I absolutely agree.

> AFAICS ReST is not ruling out that we do this, it is just advising us
> on how you do it?

REST is, more than anything, a philosophy becoming a techy buzzword. I
think it's almost impossible to write a practical and secure pure REST
web application in the real world.

At the same time, it's good to keep an eye on it as it gives you a
metric to understand how distant you are from the optimal lack of state
preservation vs. state transfert.

--
Stefano.