cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [Vote] empty HTTP responses [was Re: Cannot easily set http status]
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:41:53 GMT

On Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003, at 12:19 Europe/Rome, Unico Hommes wrote:

> setStatus' friends the sendError brothers are also be eligible for FOM
> membership. But this change has a dependency on the discussion about
> bodyless responses since if you'd do a sendError from a flow script and
> then send a page afterwards this would result in errors.

I dislikde "sendError" because, in fact, HTTP does not have the concept
of errors, but only status codes and empty-payload responses.

In the future, it's entirely possible to have a 309 or equivalent that
is not an error, but has a empty-payload response. I would dislike to
call "sendError()" to send something that is not an error, feels hacky.

I think the optimal solution is:

  1) add response.setStatus() in FOM
  2) allow the flowscript to terminate without calling sendPage* [thus
resulting in an empty payload]

Vote?

--
Stefano.