cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: DB support in flowscript (was: XSP "official" position)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:18:52 GMT

From: Upayavira

> Tony Collen wrote:
>
> > Yep, this is the easy way.  I could see this being the
> answer to some
> > FAQ:
> >
> > Q: How can I easily send an email from the Flow layer?
> >
> > A: The simple way is to write an XSP, and call the XSP's
> pipeline from
> > within the Flowscript.  If you need something a little cleaner, you
> > can simply write a helper class in Java and access it from
> your Flow
> > as an object.
>
> 1) The most complicated bit I have found in building Cocoon sites is
> handling Java classes. If deployed in a jar, it always seems
> to require
> a server/app restart to take on the changes. For trivial things (e.g.
> sending a simple email), I wouldn't want to have to get all this Java
> stuff going.

you can use hot deployment (at least tomcat supports it)

> 2) Some Cocoon users aren't Java developers. They may extend to
> Javascript, but Java will be beyond them.

Maybe the question is: Is it possible to write 'transaction-centric'
applications without knowing Java within Cocoon? I'm not sure about
this.
Maybe Sylvain's idea using dynamic beans could help here ...

> If simple utility
> classes can
> be provided that allow such things as sending emails from
> flow, I don't
> see the problem.

utiliy classes or pipelines ... +1 for both

> 3) I can see the problem with database code in flow. Databases are
> inherently complicated and incredibly varied. There's a lot
> less options
> with sending an email though.

yep

--