cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Random comments and bugfixes
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:02:00 GMT
[copying dev@cocoon because many people are in search for a serious
versioned content repository these days]

Hello everyone,

I find myself in the need for a serious WebDAV/DeltaV/DASL content
repository and after having searched land and sea and having tried all
possible combinations out there [pure mod_dav, catacomb and
subversion], I decided to use invest my effort in Slide, also because
of the familiarity with the java language compared to mod_dav which
isn't really friendly for me]

I've looked into the tree for a few days now and I found several things
that puzzle me.

[note, I'm running slide as of CVS checkout of yesterday morning, on
Jetty 4.2.14rc1, on MacOS X 10.3.1 with JVM 1.4.2_01]

First of all, I think that "org.apache.slide.util.Configurations"
should *not* be abstract... because it's used directly (via static
methods) from the WebDAVServlet. This caused the "litmus" tests (see
http://www.webdav.org/neon/litmus/) to fail and DeltaV clients to go
nuts since the system was triggering 500 errors while trying to access
the configuration classes.

After patching this, Slide passes all the litmus tests but one:

16. prophighunicode....... FAIL (PROPPATCH of property with high
unicode value)
17. propget............... FAIL (No value given for property
{http://webdav.org/neon/litmus/}high-unicode)

il motivo e' il seguente: org.jdom.IllegalDataException: The data "?"
is not legal for a JDOM character content: 0xd800 is not a legal XML
character.

Here is the HTTP request

PROPPATCH /files/litmus/prop2 HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1:10000

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<propertyupdate xmlns='DAV:'>
  <set>
   <prop>
    <high-unicode
xmlns='http://webdav.org/neon/litmus/'>&#65536;</high-unicode>
   </prop>
  </set>
</propertyupdate>

[Note that I reformatted the output, so the content-length is broken]

Now: whose problem is this Slide's or JDOM's?

                                           - o -

Now a few random questions:

1) what's the status of the tree? I found out that contributed
WebDAVGUI is out of synch with the various libraries and it seems dead.
I also find the distribution waaaaay too tomcat centric.

2) I saw the archives and I heard about the 2.0 release proposal,
what's the status of that?

3) also, what's the status of the variuos stores? are they usable?

4) now a more detailed question: does the DASL implementation provided
with Slide scale? are the content metadata stored in the DB or are
stored along with the files?

[I'm going to investigate #4 myself, but I would like to hear your
opinion]

Thanks for any help that you might give me.

ah, and prepare for a load of patches ;-) [there are tons of import
statements to cleanup, javadocs warnings and unused variables... note:
I don't have CVS access on the slide CVS module, otherwise I would
commit them myself]

--
Stefano.