cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Groovy language for XSP [Fwd: [xml-dev] The Free World vs Microsoft Inc: A Closer Look At Groovy]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:55:41 GMT

From: Christopher Oliver

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> >> Pretty cool stuff. If they add continuations, I'm all for throwin
> >> rhino down the drain.
> >>
> >> [at least, from a community perspective, we wouldn't be basing our
> >> entire architecture on branched code of a almost-dead community
> >> hosted in a location that doesn't care about java]
> >

> > Scary statement, but unfortunately so true...
>
> I don't think that statement is true, rather I'd say it's simply FUD.
> The architecture of Cocoon is not based on Rhino.

Chris,

yep

> I think it has been
> shown that any language that supports continuations can quite
> easily be
> plugged into Cocoon. The problem is that it's hard to find such
> languages (and currently Groovy is not currently one of
> them). Instead
> of denigrating Rhino, why not show some appreciation for the
> fact that
> it does actually work.

I appreciated it very much! (... and it's not only me, after many talks
at the GetTogether you can believe me that the Cocoon community
appreciates your work very much as well!!!)

> If you look at the list archives
> you'll see many
> postings about languages that various people feel would be
> better than
> Rhino (Python, Java, etc), but currently none of them
> actually work in
> Cocoon.

rhino does a good job. we all build our applications based on it and I
don't think moving to another language would be good thing. If such a
move doesn't offer something which is _not_ possible with javascript I'm
definitly -1 for including it into the Cocoon CVS (but of course I
wouldn't have a problem with an external block). A more elegant syntax
(which is mainly a matter of taste) isn't a very good reason IMNSHO.

> If you're concerned about community support why not add the
> Rhino-with-continuations source to the Cocoon cvs.

I hope this will happen in the next weeks. I discuessed this with Steven
and he has already offered to shepard the integration (licence
questions, paperwork, ...)

> The Cocoon  community  is more than capable of maintaining it, IMO.

rhino-continuations in our CVS will make it easier to learn because it
lowers the barrier to 'play' with it. the only problem is that the most
of us aren't very familiar with the way how language interpreters work.
Maybe you can give as some pointer to resources which help us to learn
the concept behind language interpreters in general and
rhino-continuations integration (if existing) in special.

Best regards,
Reinhard