cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Conal Tuohy <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: Another attempt at wrapping code lines
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:40:44 GMT

<snip/>

> I tried to find a CSS trick to add a mark at the beginning of a
> continuation line, but CSS only has ":first-line" and no
> ":other-lines".

Hi Sylvain

What about a marker at the start of every line - or is that too intrusive
where (as is usual) there's no wrapped lines at all?

I had a play with your code. I tried one way to indicate wrapped lines by
colour-coding alternate lines light grey. This way if a <code> element is
wrapped then you can see a double-height line (either grey or white). I
don't know that it really works visually though. It looks a bit like that
traditional fan-fold paper with alternate-coloured lines: ugly :-)

But anyway! I updated my dev site to use docnbsp.xsl as modified above.

NB almost all of the <source> in Cocoon's docs is markup, for which I'm
using the syntax-highlighting template, and of the remaining <source>
elements, almost all of them are really narrow, so you have to look hard to
find any wrapped lines. But see the DTD at the bottom of this page for a
wide non-xml source element (esp if you narrow your browser window):
http://203.79.120.217/cocoon212/docs/catalog-test.html

And the installation page has lots of narrow non-xml source:
http://203.79.120.217/cocoon212/docs/userdocs/installation/index.html

And there's always the text-wrap sample with very wide (though less
realistic) data:
http://203.79.120.217/cocoon212/samples/text-wrap/