cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Direct Form->SQL mapping through OJB and DynaBeans
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:20:31 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

>>I have been thinking about the direct sql mapping on and off, the biggest problem
I was able to identify (not solve) is that sql is not 'symmetric' in its load and save operations
(while woody binding is)

>>with symmetric I mean for doing updates or inserts you can't just give a resultset
back to the JDBC connection...

>Well, you can if your JDBC drivers support it.  In particular, look at sql.ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE
(and the updateXYZ methods) which lets you make a record set updatable so that you can edit
directly and the send it back to the database.  This requires JDBC 1.2. However, I know you
really don't want to keep a resultSet open across a Web transaction and I believe this feature
requires that the retrieve/update all occur within the same SQL transaction so I believe that
rules it out....

Exactly. Keeping an open SQL connection during a web interaction is
waaaay dangerous.

Sylvain