cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [heads up] cocoon's defaults form-encoding and seerialize-encoding are inconsistent.
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:28:55 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we seem to have a smaal inconsistency concerning encoding of HTML forms
>
> - our HTML serializer by default is using the UTF-8 encoding.
> (in fact it's set nowhere in the system and is thus left over to xalan
> which most likely is going down the easy path of assuming the default
> from XML land?)
>
> - not setting the form-encoding parameter in cocoon's web.xml defaults
> to assuming the browsers are sending the request params in the
> ISO-8859-1 encoding (CocoonServlet.java line 500)

I encountered this problem and discovered that browsers (at least IE6 &
Mozilla) send form content using the encoding of the HTML page. But the
problem is that no header tells the server about the used encoding.

What is the supposed way of writing portable applications that
automagically find the correct encoding?

Sylvain