cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:41:03 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>> To me, having inheritance only in blocks look a bit like saying that
>>> you can extend only from java.*, while user classes have to be
>>> always final. It's rough and inaccurate, but can you see my point?
>>

>> Mmmh... by "java.*", I understand that you consider that only the
>> Cocoon team will define block interfaces. But everybody can define
>> its own private block interface and its implementations and do
>> whatever it wants with it. This only requires to have a local block
>> librarian for those private blocks that is queried before the main
>> Cocoon librarian. This is similar to setting up a classpath that will
>> add your own classes to those in the JRE.
>

> Fair enough: I will be able to provide my own block, and so will you
> and possibly everyone who reads this mail. But the problem is that
> only people with "block librarian" skills will be able to use Cocoon,
> if everything is packaged as a block. I'm afraid that this would just
> scare people away, even before they can understand the huge benefit of
> blocks.

Sorry Gianugo, I meant no offense, and I see your point now. The concern
is actually about the ease of use of what we can call "local blocks".

I had talks with Stefano about the need to have blocks non-archive
blocks on the local filesystem for roundtrip time during development
(you don't want to build a cob file to test each time you change a
line). We can extend this behaviour to local blocks that allow
"non-librarian-aware" people to use the blocks mechanisms without having
to run a librarian server, package their blocks and all the associated
stuff.

Implementation-wise, this may mean that the block deployer can rely not
only on a remote librarian server, but also on a local "blockpath" that
is queried first before the remote server.

Sylvain