cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:36:03 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 18:01 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is that OK to everyone?
>>

>> No. I still have to understand what's wrong with the sitemap
>> inheritance that blocks introduce.
>

> Probably I should be more aware of what kind of inheritance exactly
> block introduce in your design. So far I haven't been able to find
> anything explicitly oriented to pipeline reuse/inheritance: it's
> pretty clear that components (classes) will be inherited, and the same
> goes for resources, but what about pipelines? I'm not *that* sure that
> it makes actually sense to inherit them by default.
>
> But then again, I don't think that blocks will be enough, if blocks
> are to be the only way to have inheritance. The final user won't
> package every single application as a block, and even inside the sime
> application she/he might find himself with more than one sitemap, not
> being able to reuse preexisting logic.
>
> To me, having inheritance only in blocks look a bit like saying that
> you can extend only from java.*, while user classes have to be always
> final. It's rough and inaccurate, but can you see my point?

Mmmh... by "java.*", I understand that you consider that only the Cocoon
team will define block interfaces. But everybody can define its own
private block interface and its implementations and do whatever it wants
with it. This only requires to have a local block librarian for those
private blocks that is queried before the main Cocoon librarian. This is
similar to setting up a classpath that will add your own classes to
those in the JRE.

Sylvain