cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Doco
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:58:06 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> First of all, sorry for the massive cross-post, but I think it is going
> to be a great opportunity for all the communities involved to show off
> their potentials with the apache infrastructure.
>
> The proposal is about the creation of a content management system for
> apache projects, codenamed "Doco"

+1 from me from the Forrest side.

What I really like of this proposal is the SOC, Separation of Concerns
between communities. I particularly like Forrest's rols, as it it
*exactly* what we have been doing till now.

..
> Frontend/staging will be Forrest. The idea, in order to satify
> intrastructure@ concerns is
>
>  1) forrest runs on top of the repository and generates a staged version
> of the web site (not on minotaur!)
>
>  2) a cron job on minotaur will
>
>    a) download the entire site from the staging area (using rsync, wget
>       or similar tools)
>    b) commit it on the "site" module CVS
>    c) move it on the public site folder
>
> The reason for such an "inverted" architecture is to avoid having an SSH
> access directly from the machine that runs forrestbot. This guarantees
> *COMPLETE* isolation of minotaur from the rest of the system. There is
> *NO* way for somebody to hack into any parts of doco and obtain access
> to minotaur.
>
> The reason for committing a copy on CVS is to allow infrastructure@ to
> have a fresh copy of the web site in case something happens and Doco is
> down. [they have expressed concerns about this]

+1 to this for now.

This is basically what ForrestBot does now, and the only thing needed is
to install it on Apache hardware, and separate it in two parts (minotaur
and moof).

> 7) install lenya, james, forrest and forrestbot on Moof.

Ok, this has TBD, where do we go from here?

 > 6) write the cron scripts for minotaur

This is just after.

> I propose the creation of a new CVS module called "cocoon-doco" to host
> the scripts, installation instructions and doco-specific code.

+1

> I also propose the discussions to take place on lenya-dev, given that
> Lenya is the community focused on content management. Interested people
> are invited to join lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org.

Ok.

Let's now move the task of installing the Forrestbot over to the
forrest-dev and infrastructure lists then. When it's working, we'll let
you know.

> [in case of community-oriented you reply to this email, please, keep all
> listed cross-posted, but in case of technical discussions, please, let's
> move it over to lenya-dev to avoid mailbombing people that don't really
> care]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -