cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improved navigation of learning objects
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:41:39 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> "automatic harvesting" scares the crap out of me, Conal.

We will probably be moving the Forrest DTD to XHTML2 in one of the next
things to do. As you know, there are <meta> tags that are a nice way of
adding additional info in the page.

http://academ.hvcc.edu/~kantopet/xhtml/index.php?page=xhtml+meta+content
"
Types of meta-information include:

     * The contents and topics of the document.
     * The relation of this document to other documents.
     * The type of document. In other words, is it a text document or
        an image, etc.
     * Information to assist users in navigating the content.
     * Information to assist programs in accessing or processing
       the content.
"

It's also possible to make a page tell which is the next and previous,
and some browsers like Mozilla or Firebird are able to navigate in that too.

 > I agree that there must be some kind of automatism going on, but the
 > topic creation is a human task and programs would do a terrible job at
 > doing this.

It's still humans editing them, but the information can be scattered in
the documents themselves.

> but anyway, we decided to do a first step with handwritten linkmaps. we
> can move incrementally from there on.

What I see is that metadata in the docs cannot and should not totally
replace a centralized bell-written site.xml, but can nicely complement it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -