cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:01:18 GMT

Robert Koberg wrote:

<spipped description of forrest site.xml>
> Wasn't this all a conversation from a couple of years ago?

Yup :-)

> It is good to see opinions change...

Yup, things change. As long as we remain open to change and accept
things that people need, things get better.

> First, forrest's site.xml should change the element names to something
> generic, like:
>
> <site label="My Site">
>   <page id="p34568656" label="Nico Page" url="newnicepage.html"/>
> </site>
>
> So the site.xml can be validated. In its current state a custom schema would
> be required for each site.xml instance -- just doesn't make sense. The
> element names are currently being used as identifiers. Why not simply make
> them valid IDs?

The question is: why validate?

The schema would simply say that there are nodes and leaves. Hey, that's
xml!

Ok, I'm partly serious and partly joking, but what I want to do is to
make a version of site.xml that can be validated. And - hold to your
seats - I will take Anakia's navigation.xml for this purpose. So I can
make us render their sites *and* get validation, all in one go :-)

> Also, much more site/folder/page metadata can be applied to nodes to trigger
> certain things in a transformation.

Yes, in fact what we would like to do is say if Forrest should treat
that doc as a resource or as content to render.

> Next, why wouldn't you recommend using the site.xml as the site structure?
> The site.xml should be a *virtual* representation of the site. This way
> (with a validatable site.xml) it is easy to build a tool (in javascript)
> that can manipulate it.

It's already the navigational structure. The left-havd navigation is
*all* done from site.xml.

> The static site gets generated from the site.xml using the site.xml as a
> main Source xml for a transformation. This way all nav and content links can
> *always* be valid base on the virtual representation.

Yes, this happens, but with a twist: the links in site.xml get
translated to the ones that are in the real content.

Hence I'm writing now a sourcemap, that makes it possible to decouple
Forrest from the sources, and build a virtual source space.

Oh well, there is a lot of work to do, and I've just begun (*)!

(*) getting off projects I went to the core, and finally I'm free to
think and code again! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -