cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject RE: [RT] Changing the mime type setting of a reader
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:31:06 GMT

Sorry, missed the start of this thread.

On 10.10.2003 12:11, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> ...The suggestion is to change the behaviour to (or the order to
> determine the mime type):
>
> - MIME type declared on the reader instance
> - Ask the Reader for a MIME type. A *.doc reader could peek
> into the file
>   and return either text/plain or application/vnd.msword.
> - MIME type declared for the reader component
> - MIME type declared in WEB-INF/web.xml or by the server.
>
> Because, *if* I set a mime type for the reader instance I will
> overide
> the information with this.

I'm not sure that the second and third items are in the right order.

Consider, for example, sending out xhtml docs ... (no, I don't know why
you'd use a reader, but bear with me)

The reader component might declare that it should be sent out as
text/html. But given the doc is xml, the reader would peak in to the file
and see that it is xml, and set the type as application/xml.

This would mean I'd have to explicitly declare a mime type in every reader
instance, rather than once for the component.

Thoughts?

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk