cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Using modifiers within Cocoon components
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:47:24 GMT

Puh, finally arrived at home. I took some days to visit the belgium
coast.

The name 'modifiers' comes from the java grammar, and include more
than private and public. But if we talking only about accessibility,
then @access is ok.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>
> > I like access="private" and access="public".
> >
> > - Which is the default if none is specified? (public)
> >
> > Hmmm, on second thought,
> >
> > uri access : @internal-only
> > block access : @access
> >
> > are these two orthoganal concepts named deceptively in the case of
> > pipelines?  @access is not meant to imply whether a pipeline can be
> > accessed but whether it can be extended or used outside the block.
>

> I think your analysis is right: @internal-only is related to the origin
> of the request, while @access is about inter-block relations. It may
> make sense to have a pipeline with internal-only="true" and
> access="public", meaning it's not visible from the non-Cocoon world
> (i.e. only through "cocoon:" requests), but that other blocks can use it.
>
> > If we never envision anything other than private/public would
> > something like block-private="true" convey more meaning?
> > block-access="private" might do the same but leave freedom for other
> > than private/public.
>

> Blocks can be extended, and so having "protected" along with "public"
> and "private" may be needed. I don't see a need for "package"
> visibility, though.

What about using the access modifier 'protected' for internal-only
pipelines

<map:pipeline access="private">   -> Accessible only by the current
                                     sitemap
<map:pipeline access="public">    -> Accessible from outside of Cocoon
<map:pipeline access="protected"> -> Accessible by all blocks, but not
                                     outside of Cocoon

BTW, shouldn't the 'root' block decide which resources are
public and which are private?! So that everything is protected, except
the 'root' block exposes them.

Stephan.