cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: sitemap logging?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:05:14 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> > From: Vadim Gritsenko [mailto:vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net]
> >
> > Unico Hommes wrote:
> >
> > >It seems that all loggers assigned to sitemap components are getting
> > >their category prepended with 'sitemap'.
> > >
> > >Defining <transformer name="xslt" logger="sitemap.transformer.xslt"
> />
> > >the transformer will get a logger in the category
> > >sitemap.sitemap.transformer.xslt
> > >
> > >Is this intentensional?
> > >

> > I tend to think that this is correct behavior (because it is more
> > "secure" -- parent logger is given to you and you don't have ability
> > use different one) and declarations in the sitemap should be changed
> > cut "sitemap." prefix.
> >
> > Other opinions?
> >

> Hmm. By that rationality we could also say that all generators should
> get sitemap.generators prepended, and perhaps each individual generator
> get sitmap.generators.@name category assigned. But maybe that is too
> much automagic.
>
> Moreover users have gotten used to defining absolute logger category
> names in the sitemap. It took me quite a while before I realized what
> had changed.
>
> I see a slight advantage as you point out but to me it's not worth the
> confusion that will arise.
>
> Others?

I see Vadims point, but I don't prefer it. We should try to get the
old behaviour back. I think this is better, because sometimes when
you debug components, you set the logger for the component in
question to logger="mydebuglog" and wouldn't expect that this
category is in fact "sitemap.mydebuglog". You would loose the
ability to have the same log for a sitemap and a non sitemap
component.

Carsten