cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Building useful release notes (was Re: [GT2003] heads up: Hackathon schedule updated)
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:11:03 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> The change list is really too much low-level and hardly readable by
> someone that doesn't follow the dev list every day.
>
> We could classify changes with a new attibute
> importance="minor|medium|major" so that we can build usable release
> notes automatically. Of course, the changes going in the release notes
> will have to be in "clear" text in order to be understood by the
> majority of people with average Cocoon knowledge.
>
> Something that's needed also is categorizing the changes to easily
> identify the area of Cocoon where a change occured. A simple way to
> achieve that would be for each block to have it's own status.xml file
> (this will be needed anyway when blocks will have their own CVS repo).
>
> With these two simple categorization criteria, building some useful
> release notes will become really easy.
>
> What do you think ?

Sounds good (and this topic has already been discussed at least twice
in the last months, with always the same outcome: +1 for the idea,
no work done).

In addition, a general release note like "bug fix release bla bla"
would make the intent of the release clearer.

But the complete changes list is still important as it can often
be used to see if a particular problem has been solved. This key
word search over the changes list is much faster as searching
in bugzilla and often bugs have not been entered in bugzilla.

Hmm, perhaps making different sections would help? One section
for "Fixed Bugs", "Incompatible Changes", "New Features" etc.

Carsten