cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "JD Daniels" ...@datatrio.com>
Subject OJB Block (Or Java Dev/OO Newbie Questions
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:48:23 GMT
Hey all,

I have been trying to get OJB to work under cocoon with MySQL. I have
finally succeded (to a certain extent)
However, I am very quickly getting confused.

The woody OJB block sample uses:

var factory =
cocoon.getComponent(Packages.org.apache.cocoon.ojb.jdo.components.JdoPMF.ROL
E);

Now I kinda spied out that the component manager is going the way of the
dodo in favour of a sequencemanger type thing...

So my working bit is :

var factory = new Packages.org.apache.ojb.jdori.sql.OjbStorePMF;

So my questions to more experienced Java developers are:

1.) Why would we make a block for this? It seems the block simply calls OJB
itself. Since OJB is not part of cocoon, it would make sense to invoke it on
its own.

2.) I am working on the first part, which is basically a user list that I
use with the authentication framework. This part would a good idea to give
back as sample. If I do that, do I need to make it a block now?

Now before you guys answer..... I am a poor hack->click-reload->hack PHP
guy... I love OO and java but it is a struggle :S

JD