cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Using modifiers within Cocoon components
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:49:18 GMT

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 14:00 Europe/Rome, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> I like this as well. internal-only="true" sounds hacky.
>> +1, but someone mentioned using
>>   access="private"
>> instead, which is clearer.
>> "modifier" does not convey the exact meaning.
>
> I like access="private" and access="public".
>
> - Which is the default if none is specified? (public)

it would be back incompatible, but defaulting to private would be
better from an evolutionary perspective.

> Hmmm, on second thought,
>
> uri access : @internal-only
> block access : @access
>
> are these two orthoganal concepts named deceptively in the case of
> pipelines?

I think so, yes.

>  @access is not meant to imply whether a pipeline can be accessed but
> whether it can be extended or used outside the block.

yes

> If
> we never envision anything other than private/public would something
> like block-private="true" convey more meaning? block-access="private"
> might do the same but leave freedom for other than private/public.

random though, but you could think of "protected" as exposed to
extending blocks but not outside that extending block (maybe to allow a
different style of wrapping), while "private" is not exposed to
extending blocks and public

so, leaving block-access="" (on both components and pipelines) is
probably a better idea.

--
Stefano.