cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:01:59 GMT

On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 14:07 Europe/Rome, Arje Cahn wrote:

> I'm dreaming of an open source-Javascript
> based-crossbrowser-SubEthaEdit-kinda editing tool.

MultiLinotype?

> If we put the document inside a 'contenteditable' field, and let some
> Mozilla/IE compatible object communicate with the server in the
> background, shouldn't that be perfectly possible?

I'd rather use designMode/Midas-like approach of having a white canvas
(an iframe in html) to play with. contenteditable tends to be a little
too granular for free-form editing.

It's possible, yes. Both mozilla and IE have HTTP subrequest components
accessible from the javascript layer (actually mozilla cloned the IE
ones, so portability is not a big issue there)

doable? digest this first

     http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sun98operational.html

and come back to me. This is the list of algorithms that they
implemented in SubEthaEdit.

Scary to death, if I have to be honest.

But *very* intellectually stimulating.

> We might have to put every letter inside a div tag so we can insert
> them in strange locations while typing somewhere else, but what the
> hell, if it works... :))
> Anyone in it?

Count me in, but this is going to require *massive* thinking,
expecially on how to reduce the problems of latency over the network.

--
Stefano.