cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:41:33 GMT

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 13:57 Europe/Rome, Michael Melhem wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:50:00AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>> Could we have a monthly "virtual hackathon" on the first Friday of
>> each
>> month?
>>
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> -Takes place on the first Friday of every month
>>
>> -Use IRC for real-time coordination
>>
>> -Use normal bugzilla coordination once someone actually starts working
>> on a bug
>>
>> -Possibly use SubEthaEdit or similar whiteboarding tools [1] for pair
>> programming/reviews
>>
>> -The goal is to close as many Bugzilla issues as possible, or bring
>> them to a useful state (asking for clarifications etc)
>>
>> How does this sound?
>
> 	Perhaps the IRC session should be logged (by a channel bot?)
> 	and then the transcript mailed to the cocoon-dev mailing list
> 	so that the discussion can be archived.
>
> 	This would negate the "synchronous" nature of an IRC meet and
> 	alleviate fears that some of the desgin discussions/decisions would
> 	be effectively taken "off line" with the introduction of IRC.

Or maybe put in the wiki? (it could need a little rediting afterwards,
like placing links to thinks and so on)

I like the idea though: solidified higher-bandwidth discussions, maybe
with the dumps of a shared whiteboard.

I like the idea of us experimenting with new tools and ways to
collaborate.

Will not replace email, for sure, asynchronicity and low-tech is too
important for worldwide acceptance, but might help improving things
during intensive design (brainstorming on a virtual whiteboard) or
intensive polishing (pre-releasing, testing, bugfixing).

--
Stefano.