cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improved navigation of learning objects
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:12:03 GMT
Le Lundi, 13 oct 2003, à 14:57 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit
:

>> ...Some form of topic map would be useful to build "what's related"
>> info though, which helps navigation and discovery a lot.
>
> Yes, but such a topic maps would have to be human edited. this is what
> scares me. tools for ontology creation (like Protege,
> http://protege.stanford.edu/ for example) are available but are
> *incredibly* complex to to use.

I was thinking of something simple, I think even just "broader term
(BT)" / "narrower term (NT)" relationships (like in a thesaurus) would
help find a lot of related stuff, conceptually something like:

   cocoon
    NT: sitemap
   sitemap
    NT: matcher
    NT: sitemap configuration
   matcher
    NT: matcher pattern

This would be an XML file from which a Generator could build a
bidirectional tree of narrower/broader terms. Clearly not a full-blown
topic map, but lightweight and easy to improve incrementally, we could
start with a limited set of terms and already have something useful
once learning objects are connected (by numerical IDs if we want this
to be solid) to relevant terms.

But this is something that needs to be tested on a prototype to see how
useful/easy it is.

-Bertrand