cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improved navigation of learning objects
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:57:22 GMT

On Monday, Oct 13, 2003, at 09:36 Europe/Rome, Bertrand Delacretaz
wrote:

> Le Dimanche, 12 oct 2003, à 17:55 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
> écrit :
>> On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 16:13 Europe/Rome, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>>> ....Has anyone discussed how to impose an outline on a Wiki?
>>
>> yes. there are some proposals on the table, ranging from simple to
>> futuristic....
>
> I think we should concentrate on the simple one for now, maybe by
> creating an experimental block to work on a prototype?
> We could copy the existing docs there, assign unique IDs to them and
> start playing with trails.
> Having permanent IDs leaves room for the futuristic stuff to emerge.

exactly, create a foundation solid enough for us to build upon, but
without forcing the futuristic stuff to slow us down.

>> ...[note: this is getting closer to what topic maps are about! see
>> topicmaps.org, even if, IMO, it wouldn't make sense to use topic maps
>> for this because they are much more complex]
>
> Some form of topic map would be useful to build "what's related" info
> though, which helps navigation and discovery a lot.

Yes, but such a topic maps would have to be human edited. this is what
scares me. tools for ontology creation (like Protege,
http://protege.stanford.edu/ for example) are available but are
*incredibly* complex to to use.

> <snip very-interesting-futuristic-stuff>
> Thanks for sharing this!

my pleasure.

I'm going to research a lot on this in the future and I would like to
use the cocoon community as a "beta testing" of the community dynamics
on top of this. it might take a while, but I'm a patient guy ;-)

--
Stefano.