cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming Woody to "Cocoon Forms" ?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:37:53 GMT

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 14:50 Europe/Rome, Michael Melhem wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:13:38PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>>
>>> I think there was agreement on Monday about this, do we need a vote,
>>> or
>>> am I mistaken about the agreement?
>> I think we had consensus, however not all committers attended the
>> hackathon,
>> so it might be that someone is -1 on it and has a good reason.
>>

>>> Naming it "Cocoon Forms" is a nice parallel to "Cocoon Flow", and
>>> shows
>>> that we're betting the farm on it, which I like.
>> +1
>
> 	Im not against naming it "Cocoon Forms" but we need to be
> 	sure we want to lock Cocoon to a single Forms implementation.

I do. Just like I wouldn't want multiple flow, FOM or sitemap
implementation as core.

We allow other people to write their own, but we support only one of a
kind: this forces discussions instead of forking... remember the
balkanization thread.

Which is a nice example, here, btw: the OT team proposed an alternative
flow control concept and an alternative form framework, the community
considered the first inferior to what we already had, but considered
superior the second and promoted it as "official".

[at the hackaton, there was a discussion on why the REST-based approach
that Marc proposed cannot be matched one-2-one with the flow approach.
Marc agreed that his idea of continuation and the current continuation
are different concepts and forcing them into the same terminology might
stretch the paradigm too much]

No matter what the result was, I think forcing people with one solution
forced  discussions to happen, which helped all the parties involved,
even to understand thing that were not previously understood by both
sides.

This is why having one official direction on the various areas is
good(tm) and having a simple name for it "cocoon sitemap" "cocoon flow"
"cocoon forms" would help our users to choose and feel more protected
and a more solid foundation.

--
Stefano.